Buckinghamshire is a county rich in creative enterprise. From its historical association with television and film production, to the variety of creative media spin-off businesses and its clusters of visual arts enterprises, the sector epitomises the entrepreneurial culture for which Buckinghamshire is renowned.
Within Buckinghamshire itself, major companies such as the Pinewood Studios Group, National Film and Television School and a wide variety of creative SMEs and micro-businesses ensure that the county continues to have international significance.
The creative industries in Buckinghamshire include:
- Craft (fashion, textiles, stage craft, film craft, furniture, jewellery, ceramics, carpentry, pattern cutters, drapes, model making, wigs, plastering )
- New Technologies/New Media (film, animation, gaming, TV, Websites, graphics, photography, computer aided design)
- Performing arts (dance, theatre, music)
As a result, Creative Industries contribute approximately 1/3rd of the county’s GVA (based on 2007 Creative Bucks Audit figures) whilst also employing upwards of 10,000 employees (2010 DCMS Creative Industries Economic Estimates).
Buckinghamshire finds itself well-placed to develop forthcoming generations of film producers, graphic designers, animators, artists and creative entrepreneurs through its well-established network of schools, further education and higher education institutions. A number of these, such as Amersham and Wycombe College, Aylesbury College, Bucks New University and the National Film and Television School, offer highly-acclaimed courses as well as practical experience within the industry, giving younger generations the tools to pursue a successful creative career.
Buckinghamshire Creative Enterprise Festival
The Buckinghamshire Creative Enterprise Festival is a countywide initiative which seeks to:
- Celebrate the county’s creative excellence
- Promote creative career opportunities
- Develop the next generation of creative talent
- Maximise opportunities for inward investment and business development
- Market the county to a national and international audience
The project is a collaborative scheme delivered in partnership with a number of key stakeholders.